Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday's Fried Rice


Today is all about Fried Rice. Decided to share my recipe with you. It's a great recipe for a quick, easy dinner. I must warn you that I do not measure when I cook, so you're on your own there. But I will try to 'guesstimate' how much I use. Well, I had some rice leftover from my Turkey Curry the other day. Also some chicken from a Roast Chicken I bought at the store. I have also used leftover pork (YUM!) - and I suppose you can experiment with almost anything. Heat your pan up pretty hot with oil to coat the bottom (not much - 1 tbs?) Make sure its hot before you add the rice or it will just absorb the oil. Add COLD rice (if you have to cook some first..be sure to chill it for awhile before dinner. DK why.. but this just works best). I used a carrot (peeled and shredded on grater) and frozen peas also. Its good to have all your ingredients ready before you start. As stated, you begin with the rice - stirring often so it doesn't stick to the pan. Cook about 4-5 minutes until it starts to look slightly brownish. Then, make a hole in center of the pan and add your shredded carrot. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add Chicken (chopped 1 1/2 - 2 cups) and peas. Let this cook until peas are thawed out and chicken is warmed through. This step is optional: Make another hole in center and crack an egg in there and scramble it - when cooked - stir it through. After it is all warmed up and almost ready - add enough soy sauce to give it a nice light flavor. I prefer 'light' soy sauce to cut down on sodium. This part is hard to judge - so use less and keep the bottle nearby to add some as you sit down to eat. Heat and enjoy. Optional: you can add some teriyaki sauce to the mix and also use a little sesame oil for authentic Chinese taste. I am not thrilled with the taste of sesame oil.. so I just use a very little. Its a great quick meal that is satisfying also! Let me know how i works for you! ENJOY!!

No comments: