Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy Monday!


Hello there! Well, it's Monday. Another week begins. Are you keeping warm now that winter is well on its way? Just think.. a day closer to spring.. YAH! It's been a pretty quiet day around here. Kinda dreary and snowy (yes.. its our first official snow in KY! But no fear.. Wednesday brings us back to the 50's again!)
Ok, so what's going on? Well, I tried an interesting recipe for lunch. I love allrecipes.com. It is the best place to find recipes and then read reviews and suggestion. I haven't tried any that have come out real bad so far. Sometimes I follow the recipe exactly, sometimes I let others tell me how to improve the meal and sometimes I just add my own twist. Today I did a little of all! The recipe was for Easy Turkey Curry. I was able to get a free turkey through out grocery store here with 15 filled little cards (they give you stamps for every $5 that you spend!). So I got my turkey over a week ago and I knew I had to use up the last bit of leftovers. I am sick of turkey right now, so I needed a good disguise for it! This worked great! Here's the recipe:

Easy Turkey Curry

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups cooked turkey meat, chopped or shredded

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2.In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, Saute the onion until translucent, not browned. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and stir in the mushroom soup, drained mushrooms, and milk. Heat while stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth. Add the sour cream, curry powder, and turkey meat, stirring while it all heats through. Cover and allow to low simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Ladle the curry mixture evenly over the rice for each individual serving.

*note: I did not have sour cream or mushrooms! So I found a recipe for mock sour cream (cottage cheese, buttermilk and lemon juice - came out great!) and omitted the mushrooms and used about a cup or more of frozen mixed veggies. This was great! OH.. I also used 1 TBS curry powder per reviewers suggestions on the site. We love Curry! Give this a try!

So - it's SHARK fillets for dinner! It's shocking but our local grocery store actually started carrying fresh fish! (this is a big deal for a little KY town! Go, Conrad's!!) I am a little nervous about cooking it. Again all recipes has given me something to try! I'll let you know how it goes!

Have a great day! Keep checking back for more fun!

No comments: